Monday, December 15, 2008

THE REAL STORY OF A LIAR/LAWYER KRISHNAMURTHY

The REAL Story Of A LIAR/LAWYER:KRISHNAMURTHY
Recently I was having a chat with a friend whose friendship running into nearly 55 years.
His late father was a leading advocate of Mysore long time ago. During the talk he told me about a close advocate friend of his father from Bangalore who used to come and stay with their family for atleast a week during summer vacation for the courts. He mentioned the names about the advocate and also mentioned that particular advocate wAs known for his uprightness and honesty!!! . I asked him whether this advocate had his office was situated in the Subedar Chatram Road at Bangalore. He said yes.
Now I had a flash back:
During 1924 floods a village by name Krishnaiengar Hundi in the Boppagoudanapur taluk of Malavalli Taluk of present Mandya dist was completely washed away. There were lots of damages to life and property.. Most of the villagers other than Srivaishnava Brahmins went to the new sites given to them at Hullamballi. which wa situated above the flood lines. The entire Brahmin community of the village was of Sriaishnavites only.
Only about three families chose to settle at Hullamballi and others left for Kanakapura(old name Kankanhalli) and Mysore city and Bangalore city. Among the three brahmin families that settled at Hullamballi one gentlman’s name was known as Gaddada(bearded) Rangachar. It seems that he was once a very rich man who became almost a pauper. I do not know the reason. Later in life he petitioned to the Maharaja Of Mysore and got a free room to stay at Seethavilasa choultry at Mysore. This person had adopted a daughte and she ws married to one Gottuvadyam maestro Narayana Iyengar of Karaikkudi. And this Narayana Iyengar is the Grnd father of Musical Genius and Chitra veena expert Ravikiran. May be even Ravikiran may not be in the know of it.
He had about 4 acres of wet land bordring the Mysore Talkad road. Out of this 2 acres of land was pledged and he had obtained cash for it. As he could not redeem the land he sold it to the person to whom he had pledged. The other portion was given as collateral and he had taken loan on the benefit of this from our father. Later on this land was sold to our father as he could not repay. Later on it came to the notice our father that this Rangachar had taken loan earlier also from two persons pledging the same land. I do not know as to how our father who was very meticulous missed this fact. The persons who had advanced the loan earlier filed a suit and went upto high court. Our father’s side argument was that he had the right as he had purchssed the land and also enjoying the rights of the land as a owner. I do not know the intricacies and other law points. The case went upto the High Court level and on the advise of others he decided to give the case to this subedar chatram road lawyer who ws famous. By the time the case came for the review of the High court at Bangalore our father expired. and this was conveyed to the advocate. The advocate assured that we have every chance of winning and he will take fullcare of the case. About an year afer the demise of or father I received a letter from the clerk of the advocate that he is to be paid urgently Rs 500/- to take care of some court expenses and only on its recipt he will be able to attend to the case. Me and our mother did not know what to do. We had all along thought that our father had pid the entire fees in one lump sum . The advocate had also not made any mention about this out standing amout in his earlier letter. Rupees fove hundred was not a small amout during during the period of 1949-1950. we did not have any choice but to pay other wise the damage we thought would be heavy.
Believe me during those period I was very orthodox. I had a big tuft tied in the back of my back with the shaven front portion , with shirt and dhothi and a prominent namam in the forehead. Even now the valley like formation can be fetl in my forehead if thatr are is touched. I left Mysore by the night train to Bangalore carrying with me a woolen bag which is supposed to be pollution resistance which contained a pair o dhothis 2 shirts and two shorts and two Koupinams. I had also taken a small packet of Nanjangud tooth powder and naman box. I had tucked the 5 hundred rupee nots in the dhothi securely and had some changes rolled in a paper packet in the pocket of the shirt and the open portion of the pocket neatly pinned with a safety pin. The train during those days had 4 classes. One was first class,next was second class and next was intermediate class and the last one was third class. I had also carried with me some fruits , flower and betelnut and betel leaves given by our mother for my aunt along with some biscuit packets for her sons. Early in the next morning I arrived at Bangalore station and proceeded to our aunts house situated in the Malleswarm third cross., I completed my morning abolutions put on the big namam performing the morning sandhya and changed the clothes not forgetting to wash the overnight worn clothes and putting on line for drying. . Our aunt had prepared snacks for me . I had them and by the roughly given directions by my aunt’s sons I left for the lawyers office along with the five hundred tucked in the front of the dhothi. . I reached the advocates office by around 8-30 am. The office was not yet open. There were many clients of the advocate who were waiting for the advocate. By around 8-45 am the clerk arrived and opened the office. I told him who I am and also told him that I had brought the money as directed by him. He immediately sked me to hand over the money to him. I refused and told him that I will only hand over the fees to the advoacate and not to him. By around 9-30 am the advocate arrived and ther ws a clamour from the so many clients who were trying to draw his attention. The clerk went to him and spoke to him in a hushed voice and immediately I was called . the others may be were surprised as I was a really very young boy being given preferance to be called than others. It was the first time that I saw this advocaate. I told him about the letter and told him that I had brought the maoney as desired by him. I took the money out of the tuck of the dhothi and carefully counted and gavce it to him. He said that he will definitely win the case and we need not bother. When I told him that he had not mentioned this amount earlier he casully told me that the letter earlier written was a condolence lette and so he did not mention it in that letter.!! He gave the money to the clerk and told him some thing in whispres which I could not hear. I went to the clerks table and asked him as to which date the judgement will be delivered . he cooly said
That it may be within a week or may be a month and he will definitly inform the good result. I returned to my aunt’s house and spent some time with nostalgic memories of the past. (she came with our mother and stayed with us until her mariage and she helped me in the home work and taking care of me when I was and save me from our mother whenever our mother wanted to punish me atking the brunt of our mother’s anger)I left Bangalore by the night train aftee having my dinner as our aunt knew that I am vry orthodox and will not take any thing eatable from outside.
About a week afte this I received a letter from this liar of an advocate stating that the casse ws lost even though he tried his best.!! Me and or mother really wept after reciving this letter and blamed our illluck and as an act of a Cruel God.
About a month after this the judgement copy ws received from the advocate.
Believe me to my utter shock when I saw the date of the judgement it was about 10 days prior to the date of my making rs 500/- payment to this liar. When I told our mother abot this we had no other recourse but to weep once again about the dastardly act of that advocate.
This Rangachar had borrowed from One Kethandapatti Rangachar and Krishanchar of Poorigali village. At the high court the case ws decided in favour of Kethandapatti Rangachar. He came to our house and demanded that the land is to be handed over to him and also for the period of litigation the cost of crop we received is to be compensated. We approached Sosale Chakravarthi Srinivasa char to solve the dispute. We had lots of money on paper (that is in demand notes and other papers) and many of them were in court. out of the land income we could not immediately repay the loan and our mother was quite dead against the selling or pledging of any land. . so one bad day Srinivasachar arrived along with Kethandapatti Rangachar to settle the money portion. This man was prepared to settle for a lesser amount also. This is because if the issue goes to the court it may take several years for it to frutify. But Srinivasachar was dead against it stating that SAHUKAR SRIRANGACHAR’S FAMILY DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY CONCESSION AND THEY WILL REPAY THE ENTIRE AMOUT UPTO A PAISA.
This staement stunned me and our mother. Our mother signed the paper on our behalf as all of us wree minors. Others were very young and could not understand . also we had with lavish style had conducted the marriage of our sister sou Pushpa just before this . The thinking ws that if the marriage was celerated within an year of the death of the father the departed soul will get the merit for the KANYADAN.
Srinivas ws meticulous in calculating to the last rupees annas and paisa and drew up and document. The money due was to be paid within a period of 5 months and the interest it carried ws 10% per annum. If it is not paid the interest will be at 12% per annum!!
Just before the 6 months period ended Kethandapatti came to the house and demanded that the money should be paid immediately with interest and he is not interested in getting 12% and wait for one year. Again we approached Srinivasa char. The then Jodidar of Sodale owed our fathr about rs5000/- and it carried an interst of 9% per annum. This Srinivasa char suggested to be realised and thrown at the face of Kethandapatti!!! We agreed for it. The Jodidar told me that as he is regularly paying the interest (this interest portion was deducted in the land dues we had to pay to the Jodidar) he is unable to pay the principle. For this Srinivasachar had a clear cut idea!!!?? It was that if we show concession in the interest and some portion of the principle the Jodidar may borrow from other sourse and repay us!! Whatr a decision. If at all we had to save from further ruins we had no other go. We did not want a fellow shouting at our door steps and demanding the money!
So we got the money after offering lots and lots of concessions to the Jodidar and we cleared the amount we owed to Kethandapatti.. Kethandapatti was happy so was Srnivasachar as he solved a GREAT problem at our cost. As soon as the paper was returned our mother tore it into bits and she wanted to put it in the oven of the bathroom.
I prevented her stating that this is only the record to show that we have repaid the due.
While writing this all the harassment and trouble we underwent and how our mother inspite of just being a LIterate without any high qualification to boast off saved us from our so called WELL (PUSHERS) WISHERS . She behaved like a hen safe guarding her chicks from even the vultures and other animals taking great risk. .
OUR GRATITUDE AND OUR MEMORY OF HER WILL REMAIN FOR EVER WITH US.
Tail piece:
After seeing my orthodox ways my aunt and uncle pressurised their son to atlest have namam even thoug he may not observe other formalities. Ad her elder son obeyed and still continue to don the namam even though I put it on and off.. ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home