Friday, December 19, 2008

A LAVISH MARRIAG WHER I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE PRESENTED RS 1000/'

A LAVISH MARRIAGE WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE PRESENTED RS 1000/-

I was working at the beginning of year 1976 in the Engineering dept at Kancheepuram in Tamilnadu.
A new young junior level Officer was posted to the revenue department. He had a bright idea. That was that all the Government Officers (so called Gazetted ) should meet ones in a month on the FIRST Sunday evening and mingle and share our views and come to know each other closely.. The meeting was arranged in a good hotel near the the place where Varadrajaswamy temple car is stationed in the big Kancheepuram. On every first Sunday of the month the Hotel owner used to reserve exclusively for us a hall which could accomadate about 50 to 100 persons. We were to be there by around 7-00 pm and contribute Rs 15/- toward dinner . This was termed as Gazetted dinner.. As soon as we enter we were served cool drinks. Then all of used to introduce ourselves to the seated assembly. The maximum attendance used to be around 30 numbers. We will form small groups and used to talk about all the issues and non issues with no holds barred. We will be served lavish dinner by around 10-30 pm and after the dinner we used to disperse.
I had rented a house in Vishnu Kanchee (Little Kanchipuram) and my office was bu the side of SANKAR MATAM situated at Shiva Kanchee (Big Kancheepuram) .
One day a gentlman came to my office and gave me an invitation to a Marriage and requested me to attend the marriage with out fail. He was introduced to me by one of the Survey helpers known as laskars (who was fond of asSociating with any ruling party in Power) as a powerful man in the ruling party.!!
As I did not know the parents of the bride or the groom and as I did not know any poitical personalities of the region I was not interested in attenginG the marriage.
On the day of the marriage from the Temple Car stand which I have mentioned earlier upto the the Kalyanamandapam the venue of the marriage huge shade giving shamiana was erected with lots and lots of lights all along. On the day of the marriage I was crossing the point where the temple car is staioned. I heard rhe blaring on the mike requesting all those who are to make present to the bride or groom to stand in the queue and register them in the register and then present the same . This announcement was done frequently in between mentioning of the names of those who gave present along with the description of the present and with their designation if they are Government servants or the relationship of the person to the bride or groom or the position and designation in the party so on.
I was taken a back when I heard over mike the name of the young revenue officer stating that he has given a present of Rs 1000’- to the bridegroom!!! So I went to the office without lingering During the next gazetted dinner I made a joke and asked this young revenue officer as to how he has attended the marriage and how he was able to present Rs1000/- as a gift. To my surprise he told me the following.
He is neither a realtive of the bride or groom. He is also not in the know of any bigwigs or the party cadre as he is new to that area. The usual practice is to make black money white and for that purpose they annnounce as if they receive the present from one and all. Even if the addresses are traced they refer to actual persons and not imaginary ONES. This is the trick that is resorted to!!!
The laskar who attended the marriage (Though all the others upto class IV level in my office had received the invitation only this laskar attended the marriage) was telling others that I had prsented to the bridegroom with a purse of Rs 1000/- and he tried to meet me and could not meet me either in the marriage hall or in the dining hall!!!
Tail Piece:
The marriage was between the son of the second wife of one politician and the daughter of the second wife. of anothr politician.. It is left to your imagination as to what I refer to as second wife..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home