Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ME AND THE GHOST HAUNTED HOUSE AT BUDALUR

ME AND THE GHOST HAUNTED HOUSE AT BUDALUR
I WAS WORKING with Tamilnadu electricity board on deputation basis from 1958 and upto 1969 beginning. There ws some policy change and all the Engineers who wee worming on deputation from the Public Works Department were sent sent back at the beginning of 1968. On my return I was posted to Budalur in the Thanjavur Dt of Tamilnadi. for the work of “Bringing the old canal bank of of the Grand canal which had not seen any such work from the year 1924. . The work was executed by the Grand canl Division headed by Er Ramalingam.
This village Budalur has a long history.. this I will take up later on if time permits. My post did not have any post attached quarters.
So I started hunting for a residence for me. I could find ony a huse in the locality of “Kallars” surrounded by “Kallars” and I wanted a house in the Brahmins locality. In the mean while I had left my wife and two sons (Srinath and Mohan) whom I had by then at Mysore.. after much search I could find a room initially for my stay in a Brahmins house. Now I started to look for a house at the Brahmin Agrahar. I came to know that there was indeed a house which was kept locked and owned by a Brahmin who was working at a far away place. I showed interest to become a tenant of that house. When the othere Brahmins came to know about it all of them advised me nt to rent the house as an old lady wwas murdered in that house some time back and the murdrer was caught and sentenced to death and this was carried out . the murdered lady became a ghost and is appearing in the huse often. I told the Brahmins that I am most of the times alone and as such I shall welcome the friend ship of the ghost. So I wrote q letter to the owner and he rushed up to give it on rent. Initially he was willing to gve it on rent for a low rent and when he came to know that iwas very keen on renting a house he raised the rent. I did nt mind the rent.
He gave me the key and collected the advance and went back. I got the lascars of the department and had the house cleaned. Theree were lots of Ms rods kept in the hall and I got them transferred to the loft and got the entire house washed.. I etered the house ceremomiously after boiling the milk and fixing the photo of the God prominently in the hall and also in the passage way and also in the bedroom and also in the kitchen.
When I went to sleep in the night I heard some noise from the top of the loft. When I switched the light and took the battery and pointed in the direction of the loft I saw some wild cat. May be it had made the loft its plaace of residence. This house did not have any house on its east side and it was a small open field.
The next morning all the Brahmins of the agraharam had gathred on the front f the house and waiting to see whether I will come alive or died the previous night!! When I opened the door they were surprised and talked among themselves that I have power over all the evil forced. This gave me a sort of prestige among them.
I wanted to go to mysore and for the period of one week I asked one er rangaraj and er raju who were working as technical assistants to sleep in the house during the night for
the period of my absence.. both of them agreed . when they went to the house in the eveing on the first day itself the othere Brahmins came to them and told them “ Your engineer has powers to drive away evil spirits . so he is daring enught to live in the house. Ouse can you who do nt have any powers sleep in the house tell us”
after hearing this both left without sleeping in the house. When I returned they told me that the house is famous as ghost house and nobody dare even go near it so I need not be afraid of any thing happening.
When ireturned with my wfe and boys who were very young eery one in the agraharam were surprised that I am getting a lady and very young boys to live in a haunted house. The owner of the house where initially i had rented a room had some cows and was willing to supply milk at a reasonably good rate . as soon as my wifec ame to Budalur the first thing I did was to take my wife and the boys to the old lady the owner of the room where I was staying earlier. The first thing the laedy told my wife ws “your husband I think is a powerful man who can drive away any spirits. But you are young and having two yung boys . when your husband goes for work how you can live in that haunted house.? Inspite of all the Brahmins of this agraharams teling him he choose to rent the house.. tell him to rent a house at Thanjavur and let him commute to this place everyday. Yu an comfortably live at thanjavur”.
My wife did nt say anything then to the old lady but just told her that she wil talk to me. As soon as we retuned to the house she started telling me that I am interested in seeing that she3 is done away ad so has purposedly shosena haunted house. So clmly told her “if you believe in God then why youshould be afraid of the Ghost”? this had a sobering effect and she kept quiet. There was one village accountant by name sri Rajagopal iyengar. He used to boast that he has some control over some spirits and h can cure any one f they are affected by evil apirts or minor diseases. There ws one “Kallar” lady by name Thanga papa. She ws a middle aged lady. It appears that her daughter inlaw ws having fever off and on. The doctors or Iyengar could not cure it. She had known that I occupied a ghost house. So she decided that I have some powers . she came to me and asked me to help her. What I did ws to ask her to bring a “Black thread” early in the morning after taking bath. She did accordingly. By thtat time I had also taken bath . I took the black thread ceremoniousaly and kept it in the nihce where in the Gods phtos were kept. Lighted the oil wick lamp and seared the black thread with kumkum ad trumerc. I gave the thread to her and asked her to tie the thread to the left hand of her daughter in law after she takes a bath and facng east standing. Thangapapa should not talk to any one on the way home and she should tie the thread repeateing the name of their hose deity. She did accordsingly and believe it or not the fever of her daughter in law ws cured within a day. Then she wanted to bring some more clients to me.. I told her that this giving of hread in not as simple as it appears to be and I have to do peanance and some other rights for which I do not find time due to mywork. So I told her not to bring any more clients form her locallity. I was in that house for nearly a year and I left it on my transfer to Madurai.. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home