Saturday, April 25, 2009

MY MAN FRIDAY , PERUMAL DEVAN

MY MAN FRIDAY, PERUMAL DEVAN

I came out of the Engineering college during 1957 March. I Joined I I Sc for a course in Aeronautical Engineering. Due to some reason i could not complete it and left the course during April 1958. in the meanwhile i had applied for job in various companies and Government departments. During those periods the job for a Civil Engineer ws assured and the chances of getting into the service was good and quite easy.
I had several offers and I choose to enter into service with the then Madras State Electricity Board. This name was in due course changed as Tamilnadu Electricity Board.
The post was that of a then Junior Engineer whose name was changed to Assistant Engineer.
The post was temporary and I was supposed to get selected when the TNEB calls for the post.
I was posted to Kundah Hydro Electric Scheme which comprised of several Dams ,Powerhouses and tunnels. all over the Niligiris and Coimbatore Dt of Tamilnadu.
My posting was to the Avalanche Dam at Emerald camp. The camp had a huge population of workers, skilled and semi skilled workers, contractors their labourers , hospitals , office staff and others. The camp proper comprised of Staff camp ( where engineers and office staff resided) labour camp (where both depatmental and contractor labour and conractor resided ) There was also a market place for grocery shops, vegetable shops, hotels , barber shops, washerman shops,cloth shop, etc , A small hospital maintained by the Elecricity board. also there.
Weekly market held on Sundays where shops selling diffrent different items temporarily was run by traders coming from places such as mettupalayam, coimbatore ooty, and Sultan bateriee
I was posted to the vacant post of Spillway section of Avalanche dam. There were already 2 engineers working and the Assistant Executive Engineer asked those two to transfer to my section some nominal muster roll labourers so that all the section will have the equal number of labourers. These labourers were supposed to a sort of semi permanent labourers. These labourers are different from the other casual labourers who are taken when some emergency arises When the labourers are given to are transferred to other sections ,the usual practice is to send out those who are incorrigible, lazy, argumentative and shirkers.
The same thing happened in my case also. By my action all the workers became model workers..The methhod was simple . I used to make enquiries about their families and used to give them money in advance when i came to know that they were in need of help. Of course they used to return he money i advance but they were grateful as they need not pay usurious interest if they borrow somewhere.
I was allotted a 4F type(House) quarters. My house mate was one Mr Siva raj form Madras. He was expecting orders from the railways and this job was only a temporary one as far as he was concerned. I joined a mess run by one Er Balaraman a product of Guindy engineering college. and working in the mechanical engineering dept. Due to some reason or the other he closed the mess without any notice.
One person was doing the work of a heavy duty mazdoor even though his pay was that of a man mazdoor. He was about 5'-1" tall with well built body just like that of a body builder.. I called him and asked him whethr he will be my personal peon and cook for me.. He told me that he is not accustomed to do the cooking and his cooking may not be liked by me. Still I got him as my personal peon. There was another mess where a Brahmin cook was doing the work of a cook, I asked Perumal Devan (this is his name) to go to this person and ask him as to what vessels are required of two persons for cooking purposes. Also ask him to make a list of groceries required for starting the cooking in a new house. Devan got the list and in the evening he got all the groceries required along with some vegetables. He had also got some spices and spice powders. In the night he started his cooking. Even though it was not good it was not bad. I told him that his cooking was very good and in due course he will surpass any cook
He improved his cooking within six months to such an extent that he would have passed the cookery contest conducted if at all by any Brahmin organisation of cooks from Thanjavur!!! He also trained one boy mazdoor Ramdas who was a native of Ooty to take care of me and the household whenevre he used to go on leave to his native place a village near Tirunelveli.(This was the boy who was taking care of the household when Siddashetty AKA Sidigedde visited me as Devan had gone on leave) He was my all in all. He used to do the dishes, wash, iron, do marketing for the vegetables and groceries and believe me that a person of Marital background can really become such a transformed person is nothing but a miracle. Even my friends used to joke that they should be careful wiith me as Devan if ordered by me will do anything irrespective of the consequences. There was one Er by name Natarajan who told Devan as a joke that he belongs to the same community to which Devan belongs and Devan if ordered should not do anything to him. For that the answer given by Devan was “ I only obey the orders of My Engineer and of none else. I am not bothered about the caste or community of the person” All my colleagues were astonished on hearing such a statement. While Devan was with me my marriage was fixed. Devan wanted to know as to the suitablility of the Girl , her family background etc. He was anxious to see the photo of the Girl. Unfortunately i did not have the photo. Whenever i used to go to Mysore Devan would pack all the articles required depending upon the number of days i would stay at Mysore. For the marriage i took about 10 days leave and left Emerald camp just 4 days in advance. I took Devan along with me. This time also he packed all the dress, toiletries etc required for nearly 15 days. He stayed with mer at Mysore. I Gave Devan a small amount as pocket money and also gave him a card wherein i had written my address in Kannada, English and also in Tamil and with a request to any one to help him in case he is lost as he is new to the city. This letter was of no use as Devan used to return without any difficulty. Also in Mysore then there was linguistic chuavanism and people used to really help people who knew other languages. One day before we had to start to go to the marriage i saw a small parcel with Devan. I asked him as to what it was. He told me that he had purchased some vessels for his use. Raju my youngest brother informs me that it was Devan who took lot of initiatives in erecting a good Pandal in front of our house and commanded the other laboureres who did not know tamil and Devan not knowing Kannada very well. The next day evening me along with some so called relatives and friends left in a special bus. Devan dusted the seat by the side of the Driver and asked to me sit there. I told him to occupy that seat as i want to spend the time during travel with my friends talking. He felt hurt as i did not want to take the prominent seat. We reached “Vokkalagere” on the evening of 15th May 1960. My wfe “Shanthamani “ was the granddaughter of the “Jodidar” of Vokkalagere. On arrival at Vokkalagere I was garlanded with a special garland and all the others were garlanded with ordinary garland. They had left Devan and i insisted that he be garlanded too and which they did. As it was the marriage in the household of Jodidar I was taken around all the streets of the Vokkalage re. Unfortunately for me i had removed the shoes as i was to stand on a wooden plank for the “Aarathi” when i alighted.. I was accustomed to shoes in the project area and i found it difficult to walk barefoot for this procession. We were accomadated in an independent house lying within the compound of the Jodidar’s mansion. There was no electricity then at Vokkalagere. All the luggage were down loaded at this place which was kept neat and clean. Our mother asked Devan to take care of allt he things. The house was provided with three petromax lights. After being treated to some special savouries and sweets and coffee and some rest we were taken to the main hall of the building for the ceremony of “Inviting the Bridegroom”. We all went . I thought that Devan has also come with us as he was very anxious to see the sould be bride. Our mother had told Devaun earlier to take care of all the things. So Devan obeyed to the letter and did not budge from his duty. I did not know this .
According to the ethnic group of Brahmins to which I belong there was no bar for the boy and the girl to see mutually even before the marriage takes place. Now the things have changed. Ths was not so about 50 years back. So for the funtin of “Inviting the Bride groom” both the bo and the girl were seated side by side and certain rites were performed. This has no connection with the rites of the marriage. After this functin we all retuned to the house allotted for us.. our mother aked Devan as to how the pair was from his view. For this Devan repled “Amma you wanted me to look after the articles kept hee. So I did not come to the function. If I were not here two persons had come here to take aay the 2 petromax lights. Because of my presence only the thesft did not take place. By that time two persons from the brides side came and explained to me that they want to take 2 petromax lights for the function as thre ws shrtage. But our sevant obstructed to it and also threatened us.. now I could visualize to as to what had happened. I laughed and told them to take the two lights. I also told Devan that those two pesons belong to the brides side and they wanted to take the lights as there was some shortage. Devan questioned me to how he could know that they were from the brides side. And so he refused to give the lights..
Early the next morning Devan got up early and there was a really big copper caludron in which the hot water was at boiling point so that all the bridegrooms side can take bath. Some elders wanted to take bath early. What Devan did ws to send them out stating that “Our Aya “ haw to take bath first. So saying he in a spare bucket mixed hot and cold water and brought it to a tempeature just warm enough, got m tooth paste, tooth brush and shaving cream and shaving set and shaving brush, washed towel and washed vest, washed brief, one dhothi ad came to me asked me to take bath. It took lot of persuatin for our mother to tell him that some erly morning functis are to be gone through on the day of the marriage and as such he can allow others to take bath. He saw my face and after I agreed he removed all the articles of mine. It took some time for the rituals to go through and the village barber came to give me entire body shave. Devan told the barber to use the rbush soap, blade , comb etc belonging to ayya and not to used the shaing articles brought by the villag4 barber . the barber obeyed him as thre was no other go. Devans argument was that the village barber would have used the set to give shave and crop cut to many villagers and as may not have cleaned the set properly f the same set is used it may infect me in some way!!.
All the bridegroom sde had early morning coffee and after my taking the bath w were treated for a heavy morning snack which consited of sweets svories and other items and also coffee. Devan took his bath at the very last. He had also brought newly pressed clothes and wore it. Devan was treated on par with the bridegrooms side people. He was anxious to see the bride. We left the residence after lcoking the residence. When the rituals started after some half an hour the bride was brought to the hall. The hall in the Vokkalgere Jodidars House was really big… so the curiousity of Devan was fulfilled at last. The function came to an end by around 1-30 PM. On 16th May 1960. All those who wanted to give present were told to do so. Some gave the articles and some gave cash. Devan gave a 3 vessel set Tiffin box to me. I was really moved by his act. I introduced Devan to my wife (Shanthamani) saying that he is my personal peon. She asked me as to what I am doing for my breakfast, lunch, dinner etc. I told her that I am having a Thanjavore Brahmin boy for doing all these works. She was immensely pleased and happy.
After two days entire bridegroom party including Devan left for Mysore. I only stayed at Vokklgere. I told Devan as to when I will be reching Emerald camp.. I also told him as to purchase all the groceries and some milk and curd on the day of our arrival at Emerald camp. Devan it appers stayed at Mysore for one more day and left of Emerald camp Nilgir Dt Tamilnadu.
I stayed for two mare days at Vokkalagere and returned to Mysore along with my wife and Brother in aw Jayaram. Actual protocol required that the brides side send on senior lady to start the house of the newly married couple. This was given a bye bye. The treatment meted to the bridegrooms party after the marriage also required muc to be desired. This is the story of Devan and I will confine to it for the present. The entire dowry could be filled with in the confines of a old horse drawn carriage. We came home . Jayaram stayed until the next day afternoon and he was accorded the honour that was befitting. He retuned after a stay of one more day. I stayed for another two days at Mysore and made my journey to Emerald camp along with some essential vessels and bed and spice and spice powder. In the meanwhile Devan had got the entire hose cleaned and kept the vessels gleaming bright and got the entire house with rangol designs by utilizing the service of the woman mazdoor of our section. From ooty we engaed a Taxi and went to Emerald. Devan had prepared number of dishes and sweet and savoury items. All the luggage was downloaded and brought into the house. Some 4 months back as my housemate Sivaraj had got postings in railwsys he had vacated the quarters.. so I was the lone occupier.
As soon as my wife landed at emerald quarters the first question shantha asked ws about the Thanjavur cook. I showed her Devan as the Thanjavor cook. She was taken a back. I told hr that Devan is a better cook even better than the Thanajavur cooks. The long journey by bus had its own effect on Shantha. She was having head ache vomiting and wht not. Even now she has that side effect. She went to the bedroom and slept on the bed. I told Devan that from the next day onwards my wife willcook and it is enough if he brinbgs the groceries and other items required. He was a bit sorry. He had kept some extra curd and milk. I took bath and had my lunch. Shantha refused saying that she will cook later on. I asked Devan also to have his lunch. He told me that he will have his lunch after “Amma” has her lunch. It took lot of persuatin from me to convince Devan that my wffe is always allegic to travel long distanc by bus and as such may or may not have her lunch. I told Devan to take all the vessels he had broght earlier for us for hi s use. Withllot of pesuatiion he took the vessels. Also I gave him some spice powder and groceries to intitially strt with. Of course he had his own shed in the labour quarters. So he took them and went. After about two hours shantha got up and insited upon cooking a simpe dish. I showed her as to how to use the electric stove and how she should always stand on a wooden plank while cooking, and how should not try to remove the vessels which have overflowed and should put off the seitch before lifting the vessels. She learnt them easily. The hot water is prepared by using the electric coils (nichrome wire) rolled over a asbestos small sheet. This is conneted on both the ends with the electric mains. A long wooden ole if fixed to it. This contraception is dipped in the drum filled with water and them the switch is put on. Before entering the bath room the switch is to be turned off. This also I taught her. Devan came early in the morning and asked my wife as to how she enjoyed the dishes prepared by him. She lied to him and said that she enjoyed all the dished. The next question was as to why she should not allow Devan to do the cooking. For that my wife told him that it is the duty of the housewife to do the cooking for her husband as such she wants to do the cooking herself. Devan was very much satisified. We also had a maid in our house. Devan used tocome early morning and get any groceris and vegetable required for the household. My wife knew tamil and she will write the list and give him enough money. Devan wll make the necessary purchases and with the list he will return the balance. By around 10 am he will bring either coffee or “Ovaltine” to the dam site. I used to leave the house by around 7-30 am . for my lunch I will retune home by around 1-30 pm. If there si some urgent work I will tell Devan and he will bring the lunch to the site in a tiffin box. By around 4-00 pm he will again bring me coffee . I will retune hime by around 6-00pm. Some times due to pressure of work I had to be at dam site even upto 9-00pm during those period Devan used to bring some snacks prepared by my wife . H e used to stay in the pial of the house until I return from the dam site. Then only he will leve the house.
One day by around 9-30 am Devan came running to the Dam site. He was sobbing very much. I took him to my office and pacified him and asked him as to the matter. He told me that my wife gave him rs 5/- and also the list of groceries to be purchase. He purchased as per the list and retuned the balance. My wife said thatshe has given hm rs ten and he is retuned ony the balance as if she had given him rs five. Devan told me that he could have given the balance rs five but the stigma would have been there that he has cheated. I left the dam site and went home. I took my wife into the bed room and told her that Devan is the most trusted servant one can finf and just for the sake of rs five he will not stoop. Still my wife insisted that she gave rs ten and not rs five. I told her in uncertain terms if it is so let it be. She can leave me the very next day to Vokkalager and our relationship is finishede. I took rs five note and handed it over to her. This had a sobering effect and she came out and told Devan that she has erred and she checked the amount and found that what Devan said was correct and asked Devan to forget ths incident. This made Devan very happy. He did not know as to what transpired in the bed room. I had my lunch and left for the dam site in the after noon. My assistant executive engineer asked me as to why I left the dam site so suddenly. I told him that my wife had developed vomiting and Devan did not know as to what to do so I went . He congratulated me stating that I am going to become a father soon!!
I received a call from Mysore staing that our maternal grand father had died. So I applied for a weeks leave and left for Mysore along with my wife. I has sent one Govindan to puchase the tickedt in the bus to mysore in advance and also to ask our regular taxi driver on Rangarajan to come early in the morning. The bus to Mysore from ooty used to start by 6-30 am sharp. As usual Devan had packed my suitcase. My wife took some sarees and other toiletaries and packed them. When the bus left for Mysore and when the buswas near Naduvattam my wife started sobbing. I asked her the reason. She told me that she had taken all the jewels and as she did not feel like leaving them at the house. She did not wear them thinking that she can wear them enroute. So she kept them before bringing her suit case out in the ledge of the window on the outside. So if we return may be we will find them. Otherwise it is lost. I told my wife that there are lts of people who will be walking in front of the house which has a path. If someone sees them that is the end of it. If Devan has sees it may be he will keep them safe. However our stay at Mysore for the 7 days was like hell to my wife. My wife had her “Mangal sutra” with yellow thread, two pairs of glass bangles. Some one asked her in secrecy whether I have taken allthe jewels from her and kept in my posisession. For this she started sobbing and the lady who enquired did not question her further and thought that I am a cruel husband. After a week stay at Mysore we retuned to Emerald. As soon as we approached our house Devan was there and and after entering the house he started telling my wife that he sw the jewels on the window ledge by chance. So he kept it safe. If he had not seen it and if someone had seen it and taken it the jewels would hav ebeen lost for ever. He also told my wife as to how she is so careless . my wife told me in Kannada. That whatever he says she will keep quiet as as I had said earlier he is a really true and faithful personal servant. He handed over allthe jewels to my wife. She told me also that if Devan was a dishonest he could have taken to jewels. So the incident of rs 5 shows that Devan is really honest and a trustworthy servant.






.

(THIS BLOG IS INCOMPLET. I SHALLCOMLETE IT IN DUE COURSE)


.

1 Comments:

Blogger PC said...

You are really lucky to have such a person in life.

Happy life to both of you (You and Devan :) )

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home